Saturday, February 25, 2012

Emails and Netiquette

"I don't believe in email. I'm an old-fashioned girl. I prefer calling and hanging up."- Sarah Jessica Parker

More and more often we find ourselves online surfing the web, watching a video, or emailing people from around the world. Now this is a great thing that is available for everyone, at a certain price as everything is now days. My Aunt, let's call her, Asian always says that "nothing is ever free. It is just included."

The Internet is filled with helpful information and thousands of pictures and links to sites that can help you with practically anything from randomly searching the Internet to doing that 10 page long essay for your United States History class to setting up a site for your new business to emailing your mother about the guy who just asked you out that you really like. The Internet is amazing, but we need to live by the rules of etiquette or Netiquette while we are on the Internet. I will now list the 5 most common rules of Netiquette.

1. Use Proper Protocol When On The Internet - Find out what the proper protocol is and what is acceptable and what isn't acceptable. This will help you out in the long run especially if you are in legal cases where proper protocol on your papers and Internet researching  is needed.
2. CAPS = Shouting - Use CAPS only when necessary and think about what you are feeling before using CAPS.
3. SPAM - SPAM is unwanted email or advertisements. Don't send SPAM! No one likes it and it's just annoying to everyone.
4. Emoticons - they transmit emotion through email and the Internet. Use these when needed. Some people don't know what these emoticons are or what they mean and never use them in professional documents or essays. (I will give a list of emoticons latter in this post.)
5. Acronyms - Everyone knows these are abbreviations for common phrases, but does everyone know what the email and Internet ones are? If you are using these online, you need to make sure the recipient knows what they mean or they might think that you are saying something totally different than what you originally said. 

You need to realize that whatever you put on the Internet can NEVER be taken back. There is always a copy of it somewhere. Did you know that your ISP (Internet Service Provider) always keeps a permanent record of email messages even your deleted messages? Email is not private. Once someone has access to an email, they can send that email anywhere they want, they can change that email any way they feel, and they can send it to people you didn’t want to see what you wrote.

Email is scary, but it is also a good thing. Some ways that email is a good thing are that you can send messages faster and people in return can respond faster. Also, it saves you money and time zones aren’t a problem. Email eliminates the dreaded telephone tag and you can read emails at your own convenience. You can also send messages whenever and wherever you want. You just need to remember that you should only put good things on the Internet or someday it might come back to haunt you.

Okay, now to the list of Emoticons and Acronyms. Now I got these from the health course I am taking and it was designed a couple of years ago so please pardon me if I don't have the latest ones or the most common ones now.

Acronyms

AAMOF - as a matter of fact
BBFN - bye bye for now
BFN - bye for now
BTW - by the way
FYI - for your information
TTYL - talk to you latter
OM - oh my
BYKT - but you knew that
CMIIW - correct me if I'm wrong


Emoticons
:) or :-) Expresses happiness, sarcasm, or a joke
:( or :-( Expresses unhappiness
:] or :-] Expresses jovial happiness
:[ or :-[ Expresses despondent unhappiness
:D or :-D Expresses jovial happiness
:I or :-I Expresses indifference
:/ or :\ or :-/ or :-\ Indicates undecided, confused, or skeptical
:Q or :-Q Expresses confusion
:@ or :-@ Expresses shock or screaming
:O or :-O Indicates surprise, yelling, or realization of an error
:S or :-S Expresses incoherence or loss of words

Well that's all for this week! I hope you guys liked it! Have fun this week!

1 comment:

  1. AAMOF? IDK any1 who uses tht... CMIIW, tho.

    Pffft. And who uses email anymore, anyway? xD

    I don't even know what's with this one... :Q

    :\

    ReplyDelete