Sunday, January 22, 2012

Romeo And Juliet

"One fairer than my love? The all-seeing sun
Ne'er saw her match since first the world begun."
- William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet, 1.2

"For never was a story of more woe
Than this of Juliet and her Romeo."
- William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet, 5.3

"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet;
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,"
- William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet,


So for this blog post I was thinking of doing something along the lines of this question: Would Juliet still love Romeo if Romeo was not Romeo? Another question I was thinking of combining with the first question is: Would Romeo still love Juliet if Juliet was not Juliet? Another take on this question could be: Would the story of Romeo and Juliet still be as popular if it was called something else such as James and Sarah or Edward and Isabella or something else? (No, I do not mean the Twilight Edward and Bella; those are just two common names for back then. (At least I think so...))

These questions’s I will try to answer and prove my point in this blog post. I hope you are not disappointed with the result. Now let me take you back to fair Verona and the time of Romeo and Juliet's demise.
 
Capulet and Montague are the main families in this beautiful, torn city. Romeo Candore De Montague is the son of the Montague’s and Juliet Fiammatta Arst De Capulet is the daughter of the Capulet’s. Now here is where our artistic license comes into play. In the black and white photo I have above, Romeo and Juliet's story plays out in an Italian city back in the 1750's or somewhere around there, but the one on the right, Romeo and Juliet’s story plays out in a different reality altogether. (Just in case you were wondering, it is called Romeo X Juliet and if you want to watch it, here is the link for the North American people since this only works in North America I think. http://www.hulu.com/watch/127281/romeo-x-juliet-if-they-did-not-meet Also, I do not own any of this. All copy right goes to the correct people.) In this reality, the House of the Capulet’s are the royal family  that rules this island (called Neo Verona) that floats in the sky supported by two intertwined trees that they call the Escalus. The House of Montague attacks the House of Capulet in a bloody coop lead by none other than Romeo's own father, Lord Montague. Lord Montague then places himself as the king of Neo Verona which makes Romeo the new prince and Juliet a pauper. Lord Montague rules the land by fear and violence while Juliet is forced to hide the fact that she is a girl so that she will not be killed because Lord Montague has placed a law that all girls of her age to be captured and taken in for questioning at the palace. (Her age is about 16 or 17. At least I think it is. It could be anywhere around there.) Anyways, as she lives in hiding, she goes by another name which is Odin. She also is the vigilante known as the Red Whirlwind which is how she meets Romeo. Anyways, so the point of all this background is that they fall for each other without knowing each other's name. This proves question number 1. As for question number 2, I'll save that for next week.

Thanks for reading and read next week so that you can figure out what else I am going to write about this topic, but only if you want to. I would understand if you didn’t' want to, but give it a chance. Romeo and Juliet is so amazing, it deserves more than just one chance, so give it maybe two or three or four or how many as you feel. Anyways, I am so over my 500 words so bye!

2 comments:

  1. Right, because you JUST SO HAPPENED to RANDOMLY think of EDWARD and BELLA.

    :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, her name is Isabella. It's a totally different person...

      Delete