"What's in a name? That which we call a rose
By any other word would smell as sweet;
So Romeo would, were he not Romeo call'd,"
- William Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet,
Well, I apologize in advance because I am doing this off of my friend’s cellular devise so please excuse my spelling errors. Anyways, this post is a continuance of last week’s post so please bear with me if I don't answer all the questions that I said I was going to do this week as I cannot see it on this cellular devise. Anyways, so in my English class, we are reading Romeo and Juliet. We are behind the other English classes so this might seem like a repeat to some of you that (maybe) read my blog. (I would just like to say to my readers, thank you for taking your limited and valuable time to read this. I really appreciate you guys, but if you guys could leave some replies once in a while; that would be appreciated very much!) Anyways, back to Romeo and Juliet. Romeo loves Juliet as we all know, but the question I want to answer is would WE love the story of Romeo and Juliet if it was not called that? Would we still love this timeless love story if it had another name such as James and Sarah or Elisabeth and John?
So the question (just to make it more clear since it was in that bunch of words and hard to pick out) is: Would WE still love the story of Romeo and Juliet if it was not called that?
Everyone knows the story of Romeo and Juliet. They meet at a ball, they fall in love, and they die. It's simple when you put it that way, but when you put the agonizing details in there that Shakespeare so eloquently does, it becomes a whole new story with every possibility open. This story makes you feel as though you can have true love and that it is not a myth.
My opinion is that if Shakespeare wanted to call the play Romeo and Juliet Crazy and Crazier, he could and people would still be intrigued. People would had still loved it and come to its productions too. It is not the names of the characters that have us entranced with the story; it is the words, the romance, and the truth behind the story that makes it a timeless story that makes every generation fall in love with this story again and again.
Your mom and dad named you right? Your name is who you are. Whether it is Jack or Jill, Sam or Sally, Ryan or Rachel. That name became you. What would you do if that name was taken away? Would you still be you or would you become a shrivel of a soul of the person you used to be? I, for one, would still be me even if I was called a different name. This is the same, I think, for Romeo and Juliet. Did you ever think they might want to be called a different name? Romeo certainly wants to be called another name since his name offends his love Juliet. Why would not Juliet want to do the same thing for Romeo if her name offended him?
As you can see, Juliet and her Romeo would (probably) want to change their names so that they could be together forever. Isn't that what everyone wants in the end? To be with the one they love for always and all eternity?
Anyways, thanks you guys for reading this! Have a good week!
No comments:
Post a Comment