I never wanted to be this...creature. I never needed or wanted to have this life placed on me. Having all these choices made for me before I was born wasn't my choice. They chose this life for me, if it could be called that, before they even knew me. Now my fate is sealed. I have no choice. This path is the one I must follow. There is no chance of escaping my destiny now.
My parents decided to call me Winifred Rowena Alcott as I was their 7th child and they couldn't come up with anything suitable for young ladies. No, they gave those names to my 3 older sisters. Their names were Eleanor, Ruth, and Lydia. Oh such wondrous names full with endless possibilities! While I, the youngest was stuck with Winifred. My bigger brothers Aaron, Edmund, and Nicholas always teased me with my name. They called me Winnie and Freda, but the worst was when they called me by my middle name, Rowena. Oh! How I hated that name with its "R" that brought forth so much trouble.
My parents were rich nobles that had to keep their reputations at a respectable level, so there was no time for me. I grew up in the watchful care of my nursemaid Millie Lifer. She was old in age and had so many wrinkles, you couldn't count them, but every day, she'd find the strength in her to take me outside and let me roam free throughout our gardens. Each day she'd lead me to the garden fence at the very back of our lands where the Suibne's land touches ours. The Suibne's had a son of the age of 9 named Peter Suibne who was 2 years older than me. Our nursemaids were childhood friends and loved to get together whenever possible. (In my older years I have wondered if that was the only reason they met with us two in tow or if they had a different motive in mind.)
No comments:
Post a Comment