Wednesday, November 30, 2011

Random Story Part 3



It was 3 years later when Peter told me that he wouldn’t be coming to the willow tree anymore since his family was sending him to St. Peter’s School for Boys. When he told me this, I stopped walking. “Come on,” Peter said, “Rowena, you’re taking too long.” Peter was the only person I let call me Rowena. He wouldn’t tease me, laugh at me, or make fun of me because my name was so stupid. He told me once, “Your name, Rowena, is the prettiest name my ears have ever heard.” I, of course, didn’t believe him.
“Peter, you’re leaving?” I asked.
“Yes,” he said, “I have to. My mother is making me go. I don’t want to leave though. I won’t have any fun without you.”
“You’re only saying that to make me feel better.”I accused him.
“You’re right,” he said. “You’re annoying, self-centered, and crazy. Why would I be sad at leaving someone like you alone?” When he said that, something cracked inside my chest, and I ran to the willow tree. “Rowena, I didn’t mean it!”He shouted, but I kept on running. “Rowena stop!”He was running after me, but I ran harder. I jumped up and reached for the lowest branch on the willow tree and pulled myself up. (This was easy because, at that time, I was allowed to wear trousers, so I did.) Peter followed me up the tree and grabbed my ankle to stop me from going higher.
“Let go of me!” I yelled at him. I didn’t want to talk to him. He was my only friend and if he thought that, what did other people think of me? Was I really that annoying? My mother, Lady Mary Alcott, told my father, Lord Benjamin Alcott, that I should be acting more like a lady, but I thought I was acting like any other 10 year old. Maybe she was right and I needed to start acting like a lady.
“Rowena, Stop it! You’re going to hurt yourself.” I had gotten lost in my thoughts and almost grabbed a branch that was about to fall off that would had made me fall 20 feet.
“Ha, like you care.” I replied breathlessly. Peter knew I was scared of falling. He probably just saved my life by yelling at me, but I would never admit that.
“I do care. You’re my best friend.” I could tell he was being sincere, but I wasn’t going to give him the satisfaction of wining.
“Then why did you say that I am annoying, self-centered, and crazy?”
“It was a joke!”
“Well, it wasn’t funny.”
“Ah, look here. I am sorry.”
“Sure you are. If you really meant that, you would had thought twice before you said that.”
“Come on Rowena! What do I have to do to have you forgive me?”
“Well, when you’re gone, you could to write to me every week. That would do it.”
Well that’s all for this week.

No comments:

Post a Comment